Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life in US

Thursday, 12:30 pm, March 11
Norman
15 C

To my college friends,

Hi,
Thanks for the e-book Kishore. 

As Karunakaran said, I do write some general things about US. But actually I am observing deeply how things differ in US. I realize how backward are we. It's not a sense to blame India, because we have been democratic for just past 63 years, US has been for around 250 years. Nevertheless, China will beat US economically in 2030, India will do in 2040. I recommend to everyone to see this presentation on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52Vn5qW0uc

But how about the consistency? Does the development of a nation based only on its GDP (Gross Domestic Product)? No. It's on life of every individual. India needs some more decades to have that. It cannot be attained by just giving education to every citizen. But possible by giving career to every citizen. I am worrying about the future of million students who are currently in engineering colleges. 

Here our university has more than 200 departments. Among which 100 are certainly strange to me. (I added a list of colleges and departments at the end of this email. Like college of Architecture, Arts and Science, Atmosphere Science in alphabetical order. Each college has more than 10 departments). Students are equally spread in all departments. All of them have good career after their college. They choose departments according to their passion, not upon the income after passing out. One of my course mates is 54 years old. The American lady joined M.S. Biochemistry this year. When I asked the reason, she said, "I was working in a lab, I lost my job in the economic recession. I don't want to go to job again. My husband is earning and my grand children are going to school. It's bore to be at home. Doing M.S is my long time interest. So I joined here". And she is bright in classes too. 

I met an American guy in a bus. He recognized me as an Indian and opened talk to me.

He: Which part of India are you from? 
Me: Southern Part
He: Chennai?
Me: No, Coimbatore. Do you know about India?
He: Ya I am an anthropology student. I visited India and stayed in Mysore for two months with a guruji.
Me: Cool
He: Do you speak this language?
Me: Which language?
He: (he showed me the muffler he was wearing around his neck. It was a காவி துண்டு, written "hare rama hare krishna" in Hindi)
Me: கொய்யாலே நீயுமாடா? No, I don't speak Hindi. I speak Tamil and English.
He: Do you have monkeys in your state, I loved them in Mysore temples. 
Me: We do have many.
He: And the beggars?
Me: ?!?! Yes unfortunately. See you then, I gotta get down. 

I guess his thesis report might have a part on beggars. 

I come to my point, they have different departments and different studies. They love their program or choose the program what they love. Here the government has created jobs for all of them. If they don't get job they are ready to work in coffee shops and pizza shops. Actually after 16 years, parents don't pay for their children here. Children come out of home and stay with friends, They should earn in part time job in coffee shops, sweeping, gardening, etc. Some Indian also work in coffee shops here, but I have Teaching Assistant job in department itself. If I lose my job, I should work in shops. If we do part time job in India, தினமலர் writes "இன்ஜினியரிங் கனவோடு டேபிள் துடைக்கும் மாணவன்" in last page box news. After retirement some professors go to work as drivers, plumber, super market salesman etc. If nothing is there, they have "the Church" the do voluntary works in Church (I need a separate episode to write about church, I do that in next emails). Children don't pay for parents. Here people respect and love all jobs and the all employees. 

Few examples:
I know an American guy Jason, who is a good basketball player, he works for 3 months in any coffee shop, earns some money, leaves the job, enjoys next few months and after that gets new job for next three months. I visit his home for dinner and video game sometimes.

Another American friend Will, doing M.S in International Studies, is doing project on "Life of Kashmir Women". He discussed more about that with me. He is saving money to visit India to see them after he pass out form college. 

I do go to "Ken's Barber Shop" for haircut. An eighty five years old man is working part time in there. He can't stand for half an hour continuously. But is sincere in his job. His mannerism tells he might be an X-military man. Of course here most of the students do service in US army for at least two years after their college. 

Come to my question, does only the GDP or the Sensex or the Inflation tell our country's growth? I let it open for you. 

- Saravanan Ramasamy

No comments:

Post a Comment